Sunday, May 4, 2008

Scripture-Reading Kids




Here's a good topic for Sunday night: My kids love to read scriptures before bed. It's just so cute! Who would have thought that some little mini-humans would be such good examples to their parents. Although it might just be a bedtime postponing ploy, every night these kids demand to read scriptures before bed. They each got their own copy of the Book of Mormon for Easter, and we take turns reading a verse or two each night. Abby, my first-grader, has actually really shown great improvement in her reading skills since we started a few months ago. She started out having trouble staying with the lines, with the rather narrow columns and tiny print. But now she can get through her verses with very little help. I'm impressed with how she has learned words like Israel, brethren, and commandments. She gets them right every time now. Plus Zander seems to realize the importance of reading them. Whenever I say that it's too late to read tonight, he chimes in with the admonition that Jesus wants us to read. Then of course we have to! I know we are blessed when we read scriptures as a family, and I'm so grateful that my children are, for now, so willing to be obedient.

1 comment: